Denver's Village has built a diligent recruitment program to improve the safety, permanency and well-being of children by establishing community-based recruitment teams in geographically assigned communities through its collaborative Family to Family program with the Annie E. Casey Foundation and the Denver Indian Family Resource Center.
The recruitment teams have combined the knowledge, skills and resources of Family to Family collaborations, resource parents, neighborhood communities and Denver Human Services to increase the number of foster, kinship and adoptive families that reflect the characteristics and needs of children in care. The Denver Indian Family Resource Center recruitment team in particular will recruit homes that meet both the needs of Native American children and preferences of the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA).
To accomplish its goals, Denver’s Village is designed along the following three interrelated tracks:
- Diligent recruitment to build community-based pools of resource families that reflect the racial and ethnic characteristics of children
- Improvement of permanency outcomes through:
- Increased numbers of dually licensed homes that can provide permanency if family reunification fails
- Concurrent planning involving birth and extended family, children and youth initiated early in the process through Team Decision Making meetings
- Improved retention of resource families through staff training and systemic improvements to the quality of the certification process
Project Highlights and Products
- Press Coverage: Article in The Denver Post titled "Adoption initiative halves numbers of kids needing families"
- Presentation: Denver’s Village spring 2010 grantees meeting presentation (PDF – 3.2 MB)
- Presentation: Denver's Village 2008 grantee kick-off meeting presentation
- Project Tool: Denver County Customer Service Standards, Guiding Principles, and Behaviors (PDF - 113 KB)
For more information about Denver's Village, contact Project Director Margaret Booker at firstname.lastname@example.org.