Our mission is to assist States, Tribes, and Territories in developing and implementing comprehensive, multi-faceted diligent recruitment programs in order to achieve improved outcomes, including permanency and placement stability for children and youth in foster care. We provide free technical assistance, publications, and other support to help you recruit and retain foster, adoptive, and kinship families.
Our technical assistance can help you recruit a sufficient, diverse pool of foster, adoptive, and kinship parents for the children and youth in your foster care system. We can help you:
- Understand your data about the children and youth in foster care and the families you need to recruit
- Develop a mix of general, targeted, and child-specific recruitment strategies
- Apply lessons learned from Diligent Recruitment grantees to help you improve placement stability and permanency outcomes
- Develop strategies to partner with community groups and stakeholders in the communities from which children and youth enter foster care
- Develop targeted recruitment and retention strategies to recruit and support specific populations of parents
- Develop integrated diligent recruitment and family support strategies to help you develop and sustain a pool of families that can meet the needs of children and youth in foster care
Request Our Training and Technical Assistance
If you are a public agency, you can access our free consulting, training, and technical assistance services by:
- Discussing your needs directly with the National Resource Center for Diligent Recruitment at AdoptUSKids, by calling 303-726-0198 or emailing NRCDR@adoptuskids.org
- Contacting the NRCDR lead consultant for your State, Tribe, or Territory. Find your lead consultant.
- Contacting your Administration for Children and Families (ACF) Regional Office staff to discuss your needs and obtain approval.
Our Approach to TA
Many child welfare systems struggle to achieve placement stability and permanency for children and youth in foster care. Our technical assistance for States, Tribes, and Territories helps with developing strategies for recruiting and retaining a sufficient pool of foster, adoptive, and kinship families that will make it possible to keep children and youth in stable placements and provide permanency. This work often involves:
- Taking an intensive look at the recruitment process from initial contact to licensure or home study to placement
- Identifying for which groups of children and youth the agency struggles the most to find stable placements and permanency
- Integrating good customer service principles into an agency’s work with families from their initial contact with the agency through to after placement
- Developing strategies for strengthening and sustaining an agency’s family engagement, retention, development, and support efforts
- Strengthening an agency’s response system to coordinate with its recruitment efforts
- Exploring model programs for foster, adoptive, and kinship family engagement, development, and support that would work for the child welfare system
- Developing strategies for partnering with community groups and stakeholders in the communities from which children and youth enter foster care to develop effective recruitment and retention strategies
We believe that TA is most effective when it includes building strong relationships, providing tailored approaches and forms of support to meet the needs of each child welfare system, and understanding the context of each child welfare system. Our lead consultants will work with you to develop a tailored approach to helping you address your recruitment and retention needs.